6 Important Rummy Rules You should Know Before Starting: Rummy is one of the most popular card games in India. Played with two decks of cards and two jokers, it is a draw and discards game for two to six players.
You can play online rummy with your friends on GetMega and win exciting rewards. However, you should be acquainted with the Rummy rules before you start.
The rules may vary from one variant to another. Nevertheless, the main rule remains the same, but the method of calculating points changes slightly.
Rule No. 1: The Basic Objective
In rummy, each player gets 13 cards to start with, from which they must make a valid sequence. As a basic rummy rule, sequences will either be pure, impure, or triples. If you want to win, you must complete at least two sequences, one of which must be pure, and the other can be impure or triples.
Rule No. 2: The rule of cards categorisation
According to Rummy Rules, the cards rank from low to high:
- Ace, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Jack, Queen, King.
The ace is worth 1 point, and the cards from 2 to 10 are worth their face value. However, the Royal cards (Jack, Queen & King) are worth ten points each.
Rule No. 3: The rule of Joker
Generally, in Rummy, there are two types of jokers: the first is the printed joker card (1 in each deck) and the second (also known as a wildcard), which is selected randomly at the beginning of the game.
As per the rummy rules, a joker is a powerful ally. To understand rummy and ultimately become a world-class player, you must understand how to use your Jokers effectively because they can be used to complete sets or sequences when you lack a certain kind of card.
Rule No. 4: The rule of sequences and sets
According to the rummy rules, you need to form sequences in groups of three or more successive cards of the same suit. There are two types of sequences – pure and impure. At least one pure sequence is necessary to win the game of rummy.
- Pure sequence – A pure sequence consists of three or more consecutive cards from the same suit. In rummy, no joker or wild card can be used to form a pure sequence. Some examples of pure sequences are –
- 8♥ 9♥ 10♥
- 4♠5♠6♠ 7♠
- Impure sequence – An impure sequence consists of three or more consecutive cards from the same suit. However, out of those three or more cards, one needs to be a joker. Some examples of impure sequences are –
- 5♦ 6♦ PJ♠ 8♦ (PJ here is printed joker replacing 7♦ )
- 4♠ Q♥ 6♠ 7♠ (Q here is a wild card replacing 5♠)
Sets / Triples – A set/triples consists of three cards of the same rank but from separate suites. A group of triples could also be regarded as an impure sequence. Jokers can also be used to complete sets/triples. Some examples of sets/triples are –
- A♦ A♠A♥
- 8 ♦ 8♥ 8♠
Rule No 5: The rule of common terms
A player must understand how to play rummy as well as its rules and numerous terminologies. The following are some popular terms and rummy rules that you should be familiar with before playing a rummy game.
- Discard – Each player in a rummy game is given 13 cards. There are also two piles from which players can draw a card – the discard pile or the pile. When a player draws a card, he must discard one card into the pile, which is known as discarding. To win the game, a player should discard a final face-down card to declare. After then, the player might call Rummy and present their sets and sequences.
- Rummy Drop off – When a player chooses to leave the game at the beginning or middle of the game, it’s called a drop. The act of leaving the game is a personal decision.
According to the rummy rules, If you leave the game without picking any single card, you will be penalised 20 points; if you leave in the middle, you will be penalised 40 points; and if you leave at the end, you will be penalised 80 points.
- Rummy Show – When a player is willing to declare his game after forming valid sets and sequences, he can request a show. For requesting a show, he should have 14 cards, one of which must be closed or discarded to show. He should then combine the 13 cards to form valid sets and sequences.
In case of a bad show, the player gets penalised. Wrong shows might vary according to the variation of Rummy.
- Cash Tournaments – Cash tournaments are the events in which you have to pay an entry fee to participate. The winners receive cash prizes. On the GetMega app, you can play cash tournaments every day
Rule No. 6: The rule of points calculation
In rummy, the points of the winner are calculated on the type of rummy being played. When it comes to the classic rummy game, the winner wins cash based on the points of the losers.
The other players are awarded points in the following manner :
- If there are sets/sequences, the players get points only on the unmatched cards.
- If there are no sets/sequences, the players get points on all cards in their hands.
- The maximum number of points a player can earn is 80. Even if the player’s hand score is 85, they will only receive an 80-point penalty.
Before you begin playing, you must learn the rummy rules. The technicalities of rummy game rules are numerous. Get as much practise as possible. GetMega app gives you detailed knowledge about the rules, regulations and all the latest updates of rummy. GetMega combines the excitement of gaming with the thrill of real money to create a genuinely unique entertainment experience.
The app includes features such as round-the-clock assistance, instant withdrawals, and RNG certification which ensures safe and secure gameplay.