How Smart Card Driving Licence is Different From Regular Driving Licence: Traditionally, a driving licence was issued in an old book format with multiple pages. Since the driving licence is used almost regularly, the pages used to loosen up and sometimes tear up as well. To avoid this from happening, the driving licence is now issued as a smart card.
What Is A Smart Card Driving Licence?
A smart card driving licence (SCDL) is nothing but a plastic card that has a 64 kb microprocessor chip embedded in it. Ths chip holds all the necessary information regarding the licence holder. The new smart card driving licence is not applicable across India yet.
This single card holds information such as –
- Blood group
- Thumb and fingerprint details
- Retina scan
- Body markings
The same information is held by the respective RTO office too. Each state RTO department has special software that could read the details embedded in the SCDL.
Advantages of Smart Card Driving Licence
From the kind of information embedded in a smart card driving licence, it is easy to claim that it is far more superior than the regular driving licence book. Some of the unique benefits of smart card driving licence are as follows –
- The smart card driving licence stores all the necessary applicant’s information in the microprocessor chip embedded in it. Since the information is in an electronic form and is accessible via special software, one cannot tamper with the details or fake identity.
- For the states that issue the smart card driving licence, will also offer mobile hand-held terminals to traffic policemen to decode the information stored on the card seamlessly.
- Other information stored in the card includes the driving licence issuing date and is the only detail that can be modified.
- With a smart card driving licence there will be fewer chances of issuing fake registration certificates and bogus driving licences to people for illegal use.
- The smart card driving licence information is stored in an optical strip which prevents unauthorized access that may lead to tampering of the data
- The smart card driving licence is said to enhance the efficiency of traffic safety rules
How to Apply For Smart Card Driving Licence Online
Following the steps given below –
- Visit your state transport department website
- Find the smart card driving licence online application form and download the same
- Fill the form with valid information
- Check the list of documents needed to be attached with the application
- Check the fees associated with the smart card driving licence from the RTO website
- Book an appointment with the concerned RTO to get a smart card driving licence
- When visiting the RTO office, get your documents verified by the authority and then proceed to the payment counter
- After this, you will have to give your biometrics, photograph, and other personal details that will be recorded in the database
- Review the information provided by you before submitting the application
- Ace the driving test to get your smart card driving licence
- The card will be sent to your registered address via speed post
Note that you can check the driving licence status online on the website or visit the RTO office for the same.