NewZNew (Chandigarh) : Physical activity is vital to the holistic development of young students, fostering their physical, social and emotional health. With the same spirit Chitkara University Sports Board organized the 7th Annual athletic meet headed by Assistant Director sports Mr. Anil Rana. Chitkara University Himachal Campus has always focused on the overall development of a student and organizing sports activities along with various cultural and literary activities is also a part of its active regime.
The day started with the parades featuring flambeaux which were carried out by various professional clubs and societies running at the University to boost up the confidence of participants. Dr. Rajnish Sharma (Dean Academics) with other university officials declared the 7th annual athletic meet open. The participation from young students was overwhelming. The day witnessed a whopping participation of around 250 students who took part in various activities like 100 meter boys and girls, 200 meter boys and girls, 400 meter boys and girls, javelin throw boys and girls, long jump boys and girls, short put boys and girls.
Through participation in sports activities, students learnt about the importance of key values such as honesty, teamwork, fair play, adherence to rules, etc. Students also learnt how to deal with competition and how to cope with both winning and losing. Students sounded so rejuvenated with this athletic meet. It was a good and healthy break for them from their normal academic curriculum.
Some had found a new born athlete in them while some took this meet an opportunity to challenge their fears and inhibitions. “We should be given more and more opportunities like these”, a group of students was quoted saying after the athletic meet. Students could also see a potential of taking their passion of athletics even as their profession.
- For all the activities organized three prizes were awarded, for 100 meter boys and girls Anuj Dahiya, Lovedeep Singh and Suryadeep Singh won the first, second and third prize respectively and among girls Tanveen kaur, Sushmita and Tanvi Chauhan were the winners.
- 200 meter boys Anuj Dhaiya, Rahul Ravi Sharma and Rajat kanwar were the three outstanding winners and among girls Tanveen Kaur, Sonali and Namisha won the prize. The next event was 400 meter boys and girls and Anuj Dahiya, Rahul Ravi Sharma and Arun Chaudhary bagged first, second and third respectively and among girls tanveen Kaur, Jaspreet Kaur and Sonali won.
- After racing Javelin throw for both boys and girls was organized and the winners for the same were Vivek Thakur, Arun Chaudhary and Abhishek and among girls Sushmita, Shivangi Sharma and Tanveen stood first, second and third respectively.
- For long jump that was organized for boys and girls the achievers for the same were Lovedeep Singh, Abhishek and Vijender Kumar and among girls Tanveen Kaur, Shivani and Shivangi won.
- The last event was Short put for boys and girls the prize winners for the same are Ujjwal, Rocky and Abhishek and Shivangi, Sonali and Sushmita won among the girls. Anuj Dhaiya and Tanveen Kaur were declared as the athlete of the year.