NewZNew (Chandigarh) : Celkon,one of the country’s leading Smartphone players, today launched its first Indianstate-of-the–art manufacturing facility in Medchal located adjacent to the Medchal industrial estate, Telangana. Minister for IT and Pachayat Raj, Mr.KalvakuntlaTaraka Rama Rao (KTR) inaugurated the unit along with Mr. Y Guru, CMD, Celkon Mobiles and Mr. Murali Retineni, Executive Director Celkon Mobiles. The move also comes in timely with the Govt. of India’s ‘Make in India’ initiative.
The manufacturing unit is 30,000 Sqft in area and is ready to start production from Day 1, making Celkon the first brand to start operations in the state. The unit will start with4 production lines which will deliver a production capacity of 2lakh units per month. The production lines will be increased to 12 and the production is expected to touch 5 lakhs per month with-in the next quarter.Additionally the state-of-the-art facility will also contain a 10,000 Sq. ft. warehouse for raw materials and a 5000 Sq. ft. warehouse for finished products. Around 60% of the mobile phones manufactured in the facility will comprise of feature phones and the rest will be Smartphones. The facility is ISO Certified.
Commenting during the inauguration of the unit Mr. Y Guru, Chairman and Managing Director, Celkon Mobiles said “We are elated to be amongst the first few Smartphone players starting our manufacturing operations in India. We envision the country to become a hub for manufacturing cutting edge devices and have been actively pursuing the cause for the last few years.Being a part of the Central Govt.’s‘Make in India’ initiative, we feel that our manufacturing operations in India are beginning on a high note. This also comes in at a time when India is poised to become the largest consumer base for mobile phones and we are all set to bring-in the new phase of growth at Celkon.”
Celkon’s new manufacturing unit will employ 500 people consisting of trained and skilled technicians. Moreover the facility will result into a direct significant cost and quality benefit for the consumers. Celkon has many new and exciting devices lined up for launch this year, some of which will be resulting out of this facility.
- Celkon is investing around INR 200 Cr in the next 3 months for this facility
- This is a part of the Govt of India’s Make in India Initiative
- The facility is starting with 4 production lines and eventually will scale upto 12 production lines.
- The initial capacity of the facility is 2 lack handsets per month with 12 production lines this will scale upto 5 lakhs handsets a month
- Celkon aims to reach a capacity of producing 10 lakh handsets a month in India
- Celkon is amongst the first ones in India and the first player in South India to have started production in India.
- The facility is currently generating an employment of 500 skilled technicians and will eventually scale up to 1200 people
- Celkon will also look at setting up the 2nd phase of the facility however it is yet to be decided whether the 2nd phase will be independent or within a manufacturing cluster.
- Currently Celkon has a sales of 7 lakh handsets a month and are targeting 10 lakhs a month.
- With the production happening in India the consumers will receive a 7-8% cost benefits on the handsets initially
- The Facility will manufacture entry-level and mid-level smartphones and feature phones at the moment