NewZNew (Chandigarh) : Uber’s goal is to provide safe, affordable, reliable transportation at the push of a button, everywhere for everyone. Just a few weeks after introducing our disguised phone numbers technology, today, we’re rolling out our latest technology solution as we sharpen our focus on safety in India with the introduction of the upgraded Help function for all riders.
The in-app SOS button (introduced in February) has been replaced by an all new Help function. A more convenient way for riders to trigger a real-time Safety Emergency alert to Uber and the local authorities in the rare event of an emergency or incident during an Uber trip.
How it works?
On initiating the Safety Emergency alert function –
- Riders will have the option to connect with the local police via a phone call.
- Instant alerts with complete rider, driver and trip information are sent to
1) the local Police authorities in cities that have deployed our SOS alert solution and
2) our Incident Response Team that is on standby 24×7 so our response agents can monitor the trip in real-time, provide instant phone support and relay critical trip information to the police.
- An automated text message is sent to pre-selected Emergency Contacts with detailed trip status; allowing them to monitor the trip in real-time via GPS.
Deval Delivala, India Safety Lead, Uber said, “This latest upgrade is another important step in our endeavor to provide riders with the most accountable form of transportation in cities across India. Uber’s technology brings unprecedented traceability powered by real-time GPS tracking on all rides, mandatory two-way rating system, and 24×7 rider support that ensures recourse. We’re also excited to extend our tech solutions to local law enforcement in our efforts to ensure safety before, during and after the ride.”
Over the last nine months, Uber has introduced a number of pioneering safety initiatives in India, including:
- re-verification of all driver partners with the police across cities;
- the establishment of a dedicated local Incident Response Team that is on call 24×7 to handle critical situations;
- additional independent background screening of all driver partners;
- new & upgraded technology in-app:
- SOS button: to connect with local police in the event of an emergency
- Send Status: to share live GPS location and complete trip information (driver photo, name, vehicle type, license no) with pre-selected emergency contacts
- creation of bespoke SOS alert solution for law enforcement across India;
- disguised phone numbers to protect rider & driver information.